Wednesday, July 2, 2008

You Know, I WOULD Like Some Cheese with this Whine

Sorry folks. I'm a-gonna vent. Is the world coming down around my shoulders? No. Am I supremely unhappy and wish things would change? No. I'm just letting off some steam from THIS DAY.

First off, DAMN I wish people would stop calling in the morning, no matter HOW good their intentions are. (Okay, so I wish SOME things would change.)

Secondly, I wish I had set my fucking alarm for 11:30 AM instead of PM, so I would have gotten up with enough time to shower, eat, feed the Mad Cow and feel refreshed. As it was, I woke up 10 minutes before the homemaker's administrator was supposed to be here. That's right. After 5 months of begging, pleading, and calling on the aid of my US Senators, the VA FINALLY came through and found a babysitter to help me out with Pop. We were supposed to set up the paperwork today... 10 minutes after I woke up. Had enough time to grab a nectarine for brekkie, throw clothes on and have Mad Cow sitting at the table starting lunch.

But the administrator didn't get here when she said she would; she got here a half hour late thanks to following the Mapquest directions INSTEAD of the ones I gave her when she called. (In the morning.) We did our little paperwork dance, and I answered the SAME QUESTIONS people have been asking me about Pop SINCE FEBRUARY (do these people not take notes or do they just not share them with anyone else?) and Pop is now officially ready to have a homemaker come in and babysit for 4 hours, 5 days a week.

Once the paperwork was done, we waited on the homemaker, who was supposed to be here by 1:30, but she too was late. Finally, when the homemaker didn't come after half an hour, the administrator called her at home, and she said she didn't know she was supposed to be here today, and won't be available in the afternoons until THURSDAY.

The good news is, starting Thursday, I will have a babysitter for Pop. The bad news is, they don't work on federal holidays, so the next time she comes after that will be Monday. Still, I am INCREDIBLY GRATEFUL.

By this time, I was awake. With nothing better to do and no way to go anywhere, I puttered around the house for a bit, spoke with Morticia on the phone, finally realized that I was rank, and hopped in the shower. See, the shower is a useful tool to get clean, but it is also when I center myself for the day. It is sacred time for me. Of course, as soon as I was soaking wet, Mad Cow decided he had to pee. NOW. So I got back out of the shower, helped him do his thing and get settled, and THEN finished my shower.

Right as I was drying off, the dogs started going crazy in the front room. Wouldn't you know it? Pop's in-home nurse had come early. Okay, truth be told, I was so busy remembering that the administrator was coming early that I entirely forgot the nurse would be here at all. Whoopsies. I let her in, and ran to the bed room to put clothes on. She did her thing and left fairly quickly, and finally, there were no more responsibilities.

I took a nap. And woke up from healing slumber to the sound of Mad Cow grabbing the telephone receiver from his chair.

Me-Pop, who are you calling?
MC-I don't know.
Me-What are you doing with the phone?
MC-I don't know.
Me-Does anyone else feel like they're stuck in the middle of a Bill Cosby routine?
MC-Huh?
Me-Never mind. Just, can you hang up the phone?
MC-Well, help me up.
Me-You don't need to stand up. Just hang up the phone.
MC-I'm getting up.
Me-Don't GET up; HANG up.
MC- [dumps blanket on floor, preparing to stand ]

I got cranky. Hopped off the couch, grabbed the receiver from his hand, hung up, slapped his blanket back on him and realized OW. Headache. Bad one.

Tried to lie back down, but OW. Light in my eyes. Everywhere. Felt like an ice pick through the eyeball and on into the rest of the head.

Ended up taking some Motrin, drinking some water and trying to eat, but until it all kicked in, the headache was hurting so bad I thought I was going to vomit. (I didn't.) All I wanted to do was sit on the toilet and hold my head. (I did.) Until I heard the damn lift chair going again.

By the time I caught up to him, he was standing (if you can call it standing-- more like wavering) over the sink in the kitchen, with a peach in one hand and a-- Good Gods, he's got a KNIFE! [enter crankiness x2 ] Took away the peach AND the knife and sat him down. He didn't WANT to sit down, but he did anyway. I may have cranked at him. (I did.)

After both of us ate a peach, THEN I realized it was 7:00, and he needed to eat supper... and before supper I'm supposed to... oops. Check his blood sugar. I checked it, and it was pretty good, even with the peach. Reheated some leftovers, and he promptly pushed them away. REFUSED to eat. So, I heated up some potato soup, the cure-all for his Idonwanna's, and sure enough, all of a sudden he was hungry.

We wrapped up supper, and somewhere in there, the headache went away. And somewhere else in there, Morticia gave me some Very Exciting News. As with the whole homemaker sitch, I don't want to say much more until things are more finalized, but if they pan out they way they've started... VERY exciting.

So, in all, I'm just overly tired and cranky, but besides that, today was a Good Day. I mean, we're getting a homemaker, I prevented Mad Cow from stabbing himself in the process of eating a peach, and Morticia has good news.

Yay.

Peace.