Sunday, July 6, 2008

My Poor Apple Tree (and Other Yard News)

There's an apple tree outside my bedroom window. Sometime earlier this year, I noticed that one of the branches has been reaching out into the neighbor's yard-- directly over their power cables. Not good. So, I've been trying to figure out what to do about it-- obviously, that branch needed to be hacked, but with something so delicate, I didn't think this would be a good time for me to learn. I mean, if I f'd up, the neighbors would no longer have power. Not good.

The other day while I was talking with Ro's husband, Cutter, who has been helping me revamp the yard, he noticed that the tree has split in half near the base. You know that branch hanging over the neighbor's wires? Yeah... Apparently, all it would take is a stiff wind in the right direction to not only bring down that branch, but half the damn tree.

Today, Cutter broke out the chain-saw and tar, and we put our heads together on exactly how to surgically remove the part that looked ready to break off. While we were examining the tree, we noticed that the tree had been split once before-- there was a big hole near the base-- and was literally rotting from the inside out. On closer examination, we found what looks like two separate trunks that grew together. One of them was completely rotten, and the other still had its trunk fully intact. At first, Cutter thought we could just remove the rotten one altogether, but because they had grown together, the healthy one was still leaning on what was left of the dead one.

In the end, Cutter removed what he could of the dead half, tarred what was still alive, and scooped out (with BARE HANDS, mind) most of the rotten wood.

Of course, I didn't think to take Before pictures. That would imply that I know what I'm doing. But here are the After pictures.

So, here's what my apple tree looks like now:
Photobucket

Close up of where it was cut. Notice the trunk itself had started to rot through.
Photobucket

Innards we scooped out with bare hands...
Photobucket

This half seems to still be healthy with a full trunk wrapping around it, even inside...
Photobucket

Here's what's left of the dead half. Anyone want some apple wood? I hear it's really good for cookouts. Fragrant.
Photobucket

In other news, I've had some work done on the lawn. Most of it was upkeep that should have been done years ago, but wasn't because A) Pop stopped being capable some time ago and B) because I didn't know it was needed until I started looking.

The brick flower box on the front porch was caving out. Once again, no Before photo. Here's how he replaced it with treated wood:
Photobucket

Cutter gave me some Marigolds from the store to put in the planter, and then I planted a bunch from seed. I think you can tell the difference.
Photobucket

Grandma had a rose bush here, right next to the driveway. Riiight where a passenger would get out of the car and get caught on the thorns. Honestly, I don't know WHY she planted it there. As a kid, I got caught/cut on that thing so many times.
Photobucket

Cutter helped me transplant it. No blooms right now. I think it's having some culture shock from being moved.
Photobucket

He also gave me a baby pumpkin that was randomly growing in his yard-- from the seeds from last year's pumpkins when the kids did jack-o-lanterns. It's still getting used to its new home and putting it's roots back down, but soon it'll be sending vines all OVER the bed!
Photobucket

And! Gratuitous shot of my foxglove. Again, planted by seed by me, last year and FINALLY! this year starting to grow. Hmm. Mebbe next year I'll get even more?
Photobucket

Another thing Cutter helped me with was to get rid of a bunch of (ugly) bushes my grandma-- or mebbe Pop?-- had planted in front of the house. Perhaps at one time they had been well shaped and purposeful, but now... they're history! Instead, Cutter got some (free!!!) lilac cuttings from his neighbor and planted them under both windows and between! Next year, when winter has finally passed and we can open the windows, we'll be smelling lilacs! You can also see the placement of my foxglove and pumpkin, as well as the recycled stones from the old front porch planter now used to line a flower bed!
Photobucket

And since we're on the topic of growing things, let me show you an update on my garden! :) But I'm not excited or anything. Heh.

I've got lots of corn. This is not “corn on the cob” corn-- not even popcorn, but the kind that you see hung on people's doors for Thanksgiving-- the multi-brown kind. Much better for grinding into cornmeal than eating straight. Apparently it has a lovely, nutty flavor. Can't WAIT to find out!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Here's my one sunflower! And more corn.
Photobucket

The tomatoes have finally started coming up. I'm going to have to stake them soon, so that they don't fall over and rot.
Photobucket

And some beans are showing up. I have no idea what kind.
Photobucket

My cabbages are starting to form heads! I hope I don't find any babies in there, but if I do, I'm sure they'll have a tattoo of Xavier Roberts on their butts.
Photobucket

And my lettuces are fully formed.
Photobucket

Check it out! Three heads growing together.
Photobucket

And finally, there's a Thing growing next to my grapevine. I don't know WTF it is, but it's already taller than me. Any thoughts?
Photobucket

Anyways, yay for my garden! You know, back when I started my Great Experiment, one of the things I wanted was lots of lovely plants for the faeries to play in. I think we're getting close, eh? :)

Peace.