Monday, June 9, 2008

Bloody Scare

I've been sleeping a LOT lately. A few days ago, a friend of mine blogged that whenever she told her mother that she was feeling tired, her mom's first response was, “Maybe you have mono.” She also wrote that the other day, when she was feeling tired she wondered if she did have mono, and then immediately admonished herself for turning into her mother. Heh. My mom did some crazy, neurotic things. I am SO GLAD that wasn't one of them. Still, when I started putting two and two together, having just read that blog, it was a thought. A passing thought. Mebbe I have mono? Is it possible to turn into someone else's mother?

All joking aside, it's been a little bothersome to me how much I've been sleeping. So, I started examining. The big one that I came up with is that I'm not exercising, and this sleeping thing is just a product of inertia. I've got lots of good excuses for not exercising, too-- everything from the weather to... well, the weather, really. Wanna hear 'em all? No? I'll just have to keep telling them to myself, then.

Anyway, during my nightly talk with Daddy, I mentioned how tired I've been lately (along with my dissatisfaction with my current weight), and his first reaction was, “Have you checked your blood sugar? You are at risk for diabetes, you know.”

Oh. My. Gods. PLEASE, NO! DON'T TAKE MY SUGAR FROM ME!

After THAT talk, I immediately hung up the phone and stared at Pop's blood sugar monitor. Then I stared at the empty ice cream bowl I had finished off just before the phone call. Then back at the monitor. Ice cream would TOTALLY skew a blood sugar level reading, wouldn't it? So instead, I took the flying monkeys for a mile-long walk. They were, to say the least, thrilled to be getting out of the house to stretch their legs, and I was able to avoid bad news for another 45 minutes.

When I got back, I found one of Pop's disposable lancets, pricked my thumb (HA!)-- you know, that M-F'er HURTS! And Pop's been doing that every day for over 10 years now-- and checked my blood sugar.

I am happy to report that I am well within healthy levels. :P

Still, though. Things need to change upgrade. I eat junk food. (Mostly organic, but still.) I don't exercise, like, at all. I'm the heaviest I've ever been in my life. I am not able to get a full night's sleep, because every few hours I am required to get up and supervise/assist with bathroom functions, and I stress a lot over Pop's health. And then I wonder what could be wrong with me. HA!

It's not as if there's nothing I can do. There's plenty I can do to change the situation. Most of it simply requires getting off my ass and doing it. DAMN INERTIA!

Walking tonight felt good. It always does. Except in the rain. That part's not so good. Otherwise, me and the boys need to get out more, even if it is at 2AM. And hey, up-side to walking at 2AM is that all the neighbors' dogs are in for the night, so I can train them on walking with me without a leash. Not to mention, that the heat is down, even if the humidity is still killer. Seriously! You can cut the air with a knife! Blech. But yeah. More walking, less peanut butter cups. I even have a swimsuit. I wonder if there would be any way I could slip up the hill during the day to the pool once in a while...? Hmmm.

So that's my good news for the night-- er, morning? Um, thing. Yes. My good news for the thing.

Have a blessed thing.

Peace.